The Pandemic Is Not Over! What You Need to Know About Vaccines
In a recent article from The Wall Street Journal, a U.K. study examines the likelihood of the Covid-19 virus to “continue to take a toll on society” even after three vaccines have been circulating the globe. British Prime Minister Boris Johnson proclaims, “We cannot escape the fact that lifting lockdown will result in more cases, more hospitalizations and sadly more deaths.”
The head of CDC, Dr. Rochelle Walensky, has warned the public about the growing confirmed cases and that the recent progress has been stalled due to the highly infectious variants becoming more prevalent (NPR). She says, “Things are tenuous. Now is not the time to relax restrictions. Although we have been experiencing large declines in cases and hospital admissions over the past six weeks, these declines follow the highest peak we have experienced in the pandemic.”
Scientists are desperately trying to get to the bottom of all of these Covid-19 variants and find out why they are spreading faster than the original virus. With lots of research, they have concluded that the answer is in the spike protein that gives the coronavirus its unique shape. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have researched the three variants of concern that have been detected in the U.S. There have been 2,102 cases of B.1.1.7 variant and have been reported in 45 areas. B.1.351 variant has 49 cases in 15 areas in the nation, and 6 cases with P.1 in 5 states have been detected as well. To make matters worse, CDC experts predict the variants will likely increase as more “specimens are sequenced” and if/when the abundance of variants increases.
On February 25, 2021, 68.3 million vaccines have been given to about 13.9% of the U.S. population. The 7-day average number of distributed vaccine doses reported to CDC was 1.5 million each day. At a White House briefing, Walensky states that the 7-day average of deaths is about 2,000 per day, which is marginally higher than weeks before (NPR).
What are the 3 Vaccines?
- Pfizer-BioNTech= 95% effective, for ages 16+, requires 2 injections given 21 days apart.
- Moderna= 94% effective, for ages 18+, requires 2 injections given 28 days apart.
- Janssen/Johnson & Johnson= 66% effective in preventing the Covid-19 virus with symptoms and 85% effective at preventing severe disease with the Covid-19 virus, ages 18+, 1 injection.
Will the vaccine give me Covid-19?
- None of the vaccines don’t use the live virus. However, it will take a few weeks for your body to build immunity after receiving the vaccination. Because of this, you could potentially catch Covid-19 before or even shortly after being vaccinated.
What are the possible side effects?
- Pain, redness, or swelling at the sight of the injection.
- Fever, fatigue, headache, muscle and joint pain, chills, nausea and vomiting, and swollen lymph nodes.
- You will be observed for 15 minutes following the vaccine injection to watch out for any immediate reaction. Most side effects happen within 3 days and only last for 1-2 days.
What are the long-term side effects?
- Covid-19 vaccines clinical trials began in the summer of 2020; therefore, it is unknown if they will have long-term side effects. Vaccines have rarely been known to cause any long-term side effects.
Safety precautions after the vaccine?
- Avoid close contact, especially with anyone who is sick or has symptoms.
- Wear face masks in public places.
- Practice good hygiene. Wash your hands often with soap for 20+ seconds, or apply hand sanitizer. Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze. Avoid touching your face! Disinfect surfaces daily—especially ones that are touched often.
- Stay home if you’re sick.
Keep in mind that a vaccine may cause side effects similar to the symptoms of coronavirus. If you think that you’ve been exposed or develop symptoms more than three days after getting vaccinated and the symptoms last more than two days, please isolate yourself from others and get tested immediately.
It is crucial to note that the vaccine efficacy lasts at least 8-10 months. However, the immune cell can remain in your body for years, so it’s probable that protection could last for many years (CU Boulder Today).
Unfortunately, a world free of Covid is not in the near future like we all hoped. Lisa Marshall, the Senior Science Editor for CU Boulder Today, predicts that SARS COV-2 will become one of many viruses that we have to deal with. Throughout the world, there are approximately 200 respiratory viruses, and coronavirus is another infection that our bodies will have to build immunity to. This may sound daunting to most; however, it is comforting to know that our scientists and health physicians are working day and night to provide the vaccinations we need and, most importantly, the knowledge to combat this virus.
This uncertainty should motivate you even more to take the necessary precautions and protect yourself. There have been a number of people wearing double masks. This is a great idea to ensure your mouth and nose are protected from potentially harmful particles. Read our post about doubling masks to learn more.
Amlife’s disposable masks are 3-ply to provide the utmost protection. They can be purchased in a single pack of 10 or in bulk up to 10,000 (perfect for businesses!). Amlife is here to protect your family members, friends, colleagues, employees, teachers, students, and all of our healthcare workers. You can trust us to protect your community.
We also sell cotton face masks that are 2-ply, tightly fitted with nose strips and elastic ear loops. They can be bought in packs of 3, 6, 12, and 24. Be sure to browse our stylish printed design face masks—a perfect gift for anyone in the family!
We also sell 5 layer Activated Carbon Filters! They are replaceable and are proven to trap and filter air molecules for a maximum of 80 hours.
Great for adults and kids, Amlife has comfortable and affordable face masks for every American. Face masks are a part of your everyday life. They’re our first line of defense against COVID-19. Stay safe out there!
Amlife Face Masks Are:
- Made in Southern California with domestic and imported materials.
- Guaranteed easy, fast and free shipping.
- Available to buy in bulk.
- Soft, comfortable, affordable, and most importantly, top-quality!
© 2020 AMLIFE™ | All Rights Reserved.
All logos, trademarks & registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.